Thursday, May 31, 2007

Speed

Driving scares the crap out of me. This past Sunday, I drove to and from Camden Yards. On the Beltway, I was sitting pretty at about 70 mph. I was still driving above the speed limit. The way cars around me passed so quickly, it seemed like I was practically sittin' still. They had to be clocking upwards of 85 and 90 mph.

And then shit like this happens. It's a tragic, terrible thing. I can't, however, help but dwell on the final sentence of the article...

'The accident "illustrates the problem we have with speed and what can happen in an instant," High said.'

This isn't to say any of the resulting damage wouldn't have happened at slower speeds, but I think lots of folks don't register how bad it all can get at 85+ mph.

I say, "Slow down!" It's true on the highway and it's true on side streets.

No comments: